The Spanish Royal Decree 235/2013, of 5th April, approves the basic procedure for the “Certificat d’Eficiència Energètic” (Energy Efficiency Certification) of buildings. It makes the Energy Certificate obligatory for all sale or lease transaction.
- What is an energy certificate? It is a report which details how efficient a home is in terms of energy consumption. It assigns an energy rating to each home on a scale which ranges from A (most efficient) to G (least efficient). This report should be realized by a qualified professional technician.
- The owner of the property is the person in charge of having this certificate
- Obligatory: From 1st June 2013.
- Application limit: New and existing properties that are for sale or renting to a new tenant.
- Exemptions: Buildings for housing, the use of which is less than 4 months a year, or for a limited time of a calendar year, or with an energy consumption forecast to be less than 25% used throughout year.
- Energy efficiency label: This has to be shown and visible inside the property and to be included in all offers of promotion and publicity, in order to sell or rent.
- Legal sanctions: Between 300 € to 6.000 €, depending on the grade.
- Validity period: 10 years.